International School of Beijing (ISB) students demonstrated their formula for success at the China round of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF) earlier this month, including winning the event's top award for "Best in Fair."
Intel ISEF is the world's largest international pre-college science competition. Students from 13 international schools around China competed in the regional science fair hosted in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, on March 17-18, 2017.
Students worldwide compete each year in regional science fairs. Of these fairs, the top five projects are chosen as "Best of Fair" and are awarded the opportunity to attend the Global Intel ISEF in May.
Eleven ISB students presented their projects and all received high honors. Awards included the following:
- Terri L (grade 11) and Andrea L (grade 9) received "Best in Fair" for Antimicrobial "Super" Joints: Adding Silver to Titanium Nitride PVD Coating for Artificial Joints;
- Ingrid H (grade 11)-received "Award of Superior" for Distinct Oxytocin Effects on Belief Updating Under Social Stress
- Naina K, Chen Hui L, & William L (all grade 11) received "Award of Superior" for Exploiting Temperature Difference between Water and Air in Order to Generate Energy
- Harry X & Mitchell Y (both grade 9) received "Award of Excellent" for Optimizing Hydrokinetic Efficiency: Hydrodynamic Nose Cones
- Bookyu P & Subin U (both grade 10) received "Award of Excellent" for Improved Orthopedic Casts
- Cindy W (grade 11) received "Award of Excellent" for Rewriting the Code of Death: The Solution to SIDS
As finalists, Terri and Andrea will attend the upcoming Intel ISEF competition in May in Los Angeles, California. The sisters will be competing with approximately 1,700 high school students from more than 75 countries and regions. Finalists can showcase their independent research and compete for approximately $4 million in prizes.
ISB has a proud association with Intel ISEF. Over the past four years, 33 ISB students have competed in the event's China round, with nine qualifying for the US finals.