The Visual Arts program at ISB is designed to take each student on a journey of exploration of materials and ideas. When students learn about and explore art making practices, using both traditional and contemporary tools, they develop the abilities necessary for self-expression and determination in the technology driven 21st century culture. They discover the joy and pride of being authentically creative and are initiated into a variety of ways of perceiving and contemplating the world around them. They come to realize the mental discipline required to bring to fruition their ideas while utilizing complex forms of problem solving.
As a Visual Arts program, we value:
- The creative potential of each student
- The process of self-discovery
- Students as independent learners
- Authentic tasks
- Communication of ideas
- Developing a fluency in the language of the Visual Arts
- The ability for the Visual Arts to reinforce and supplement learning in other disciplines
- The opportunity to dialogue with varying cultures
We believe that students learn the Visual Arts best when they:
- Have an opportunity to recognize, analyze, or critique their own work or the work of others
- Are able to pursue personal interests
- Exhibit and participate in installations, exhibitions or event-based performance of selected work
- Develop an excitement and exhilaration of the learning process
When developing our Visual Arts curriculum, standards are based on the National Core Arts Standards.