The World Languages department’s philosophy reflects the core values of the school’s mission and vision. The program serves the learning needs of students from a variety of linguistic and cultural backgrounds. We strive to educate and inspire all students to become effective communicators and global citizens in the 21st century.
From PK- Grade 12, the program values
- the acquisition of an additional language while maintaining a home language and cultural heritage
- instruction that is aligned to standards
- individualized learning opportunities for addressing diverse learning needs
- multi-literacy skills for communication, study, work and leisure pursuits in a variety of authentic contexts
- contributions to local and global communities
- lifelong interest in and enjoyment of language learning and literature
We believe that students learn a language best when they
- are provided with opportunities to integrate their learning with other subject areas
- engage in a broad range of experiences to learn from the historical, social and cultural perspectives
- utilize 21st century skills as they develop their linguistic and cultural competencies
- apply language skills to authentic tasks
- connect and engage meaningfully with the local and global communities through their own lenses
To serve the needs of our diverse student population, the Chinese department offers a three-pathway program which consists of the Chinese as an Additional Language Pathway, the Advanced Chinese Pathway and the Chinese Language and Literature Pathway. Students are placed in the pathway appropriate to their language backgrounds, abilities and needs. You may find a description of the learner’s linguistic profile for each pathway and courses offered here.