Our Chinese program’s philosophy reflects the school’s mission, vision and core values. The Chinese program serves the language learning needs of students from diverse cultural backgrounds. We strive to provide a linguistic and culturally rich environment to educate and inspire all students to become effective communicators and global citizens, in the context of the 21st century.
As a Chinese program, we value:
- aligning assessments and instruction to standards.
- supporting students' language development through a holistic and student-centered approach.
- providing personalized learning opportunities to accommodate diverse learning needs.
- fostering students' language ability and intercultural competence in order to contribute effectively to the local and global community.
- developing students’ language proficiency around the four language skills that facilitate authentic communication.
- providing challenging and joyful learning opportunities where students can explore their own interests in Chinese language and culture.
- lifelong interest in and enjoyment of language learning
We believe that students learn Chinese best when they:
- are immersed in a safe and supportive learning environment that encourages risk-taking.
- are provided with opportunities to integrate their learning with other disciplines.
- engage in a broad range of meaningful experiences to learn about China from historical, social and cultural perspectives.
- utilize 21st century skills as they develop their linguistic and cultural competencies.
- apply Chinese language skills to connect and engage meaningfully with the Chinese speaking community.
When developing our Chinese Language curriculum, the standards are based on The Common Core Standards, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, and the Chinese National Curriculum Standards.